Monday, May 24, 2010

introducing tumbletoads symphony playground

Right you are, Heather! Here are some photos of the new playset. Can you guess who came up with its name?

Day two was just as thrilling as Day One. It has been transformative. Mike can garden, I can cook dinner in the kitchen, and the kids are happy as clams climbing and messing around on the swings.

There has been a bit of tension over the so-called Secret Clubhouse, where Frances and I peacefully spent some of Gabriel's nap yesterday. Today there was a bit of screaming over who was allowed in the clubhouse. Little siblings of the world, someday you too will be big and can have your own club. And the fact that your mama is in the kitchen sort of seeing what is going on and yet choosing not to intervene is for your own good, really. Not to mention her sanity. 
But usually this is what I see when I look up from the spinach bed or out from the deck: children working on their swing tricks, or staring off into space, flung over some part of the playset. I feel gratitude, a sense that all is as it should be. They have an outside place of their very own.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Handsome playset! That's a terrific gift for the adults and kids alike. I'm amazed the mosquitoes aren't killing you all.

Amelia Rauser said...

Wow! Outstanding! And the name is phenomenal. Can't wait to sit on the deck and drink wine while my own children tire themselves out on it... :)

LaLa said...

I am so thrilled this created such joy in your home. I thought it might. They will love it for many years to come. Even though I just had a "humpy" (that's what I called it because everytime I'd swing up high it would "hump" up) old metal swing set as a kid, I loved it probably until I was in junior high. And yours looks absolutely amazing! Tell France I hope I have an invitation to her clubhouse.