I had to share these pancakes with you. They were light, moist and sweet; it is hard to imagine a more perfect vegetable delivery system for a certain picky four year old.
I must warn you, these quantities are rough approximations.
Combine 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, 1/4 cup ground flax seed, 1 tsp baking powder, a pinch of salt, a scant tablespoon of brown sugar, a tsp of cinnamon and a hearty sprinkle of allspice and nutmeg in a bowl.
Lightly beat an egg in a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup. Add about 3/4 cup pureed sweet potato and 1/4 cup applesauce, then fill up the rest of the cup with soy milk (or cow's milk, or whatever you have - we used vanilla soy milk). Pour in your dry ingredients, mix lightly (or a lot, if you are making these with an enthusiastic two year old, as I was). Finally add a tbsp of oil to the mix.
Voila. Letter shapes consumed with maple syrupy yogurt floated the little boats in my house this morning. So happy were we that on a whim, after dropping Frances off at school, I headed to beautiful Quiet Waters park to take Gabriel out on an actual boat. He had a pink kayak in mind. Yes!
Sadly the boat rentals aren't open yet. Who wants to meet us there in two weeks for some toddler-style seafaring?
3 comments:
As Agatha would say, "MEEEEEEE!"
Delicious! I will definitely make these this weekend. Thank goodness for you, Queen, and your many suggestions. I love thee.
Great idea, and I had a sweet potato.... Everyone loved them this morning (slightly different recipe, Louisiana Sweet potato pancakes made with ww flour.....)
Post a Comment