Fast forward five years or so. Apropos of a conversation about whether or not people older than toddlers can properly be referred to as "cute," Frances took to occasionally calling me "the cute grown up." Seemingly at random, she'd look me up and down and with a look of great satisfaction say, "Mama, now you're the cute grown up!"
Over a bubble-painting project yesterday, I finally got her to articulate the conditions under which I qualify as the cute grown up. They are, in her words:
*when my hair is messy, preferably in a ponytail
*when my face is shiny ("you know, like, sweaty")
*when I wear my patched jeans
*when I wear clogs
*when I smile lots of real smiles ("not the pretend kind")
*when I wear cable knit sweaters
Why does she like it when I look a particular way? (The fashion-forward dark skinny jeans her grandma just bought me are, incidentally, decidedly not cute grown up style.) According to Frances, I act differently when I'm the cute grown up. I'm nicer, and quicker to smile, and pay more attention to her (her words).
I hated when my mom went to work and paid attention to other people, too.
Yesterday was a definite cute grown up sort of day, so there was no need to fret about my hair. The bubble painting was really, really fun--especially once I backed off and let the kids go a little wild with it. Unfettered straw bubbling! It's a thrill. They made spider's webs, nests, something called canopies, volcanoes, and generally acted like unhinged mad scientists for well over an hour.
All you do is mix tempera paint, a little water, and a little dish soap. Mix, insert straws, and bubble away. Then, if you can stop making bubble creations for long enough, transfer the bubbles onto card stock, carefully pop them, and make some really striking prints that capture the delicate, ephemeral nature of bubbles.
Here's a photo of me as almost-cute grown up (alas, no ponytail), taken yesterday by Frances.
Sometimes I wish my life afforded more opportunities for glamour, and maybe one day it will. For now, cuteness isn't too bad. And when an occasion for heels presents itself, I'll just have to bear a certain someone's disapproval.
(On a completely separate note: have you liked Homemade Time on Facebook yet? If not, please do!)
No comments:
Post a Comment