Except, as it turns out, they will never go to school again. Snow days have fallen upon us like a plague this winter and there is no end in sight.
After Beatrice's morning nap I sat down with her at the table to give her a snack, and Frances and Gabriel joined me with a deck of Uno cards in hand. The competitive spirit was fierce from round one, albeit a little wild and loony (imagine Frances singing 'I'm not your friend anymore!' in faux opera style everytime a draw four wild was pointed in her direction). I was distracted by the mess Bea was making with hummus, and the kids could not keep straight whose turn it was, what with all those reverses. Snippiness was brewing.
When Beatrice was finished snacking, she was desperate to get out of her seat and into my lap, so I complied. She immediately began grabbing aggressively at cards and trying to participate in the game. Everytime she snagged one she'd look at it with big eyes, make a noise, then earnestly pass it to Frances or Gabriel, nodding her head encouragingly. Here, take it, you'll need this.
It was cute for a minute, but then she drove them crazy with her unreason and absurdity. They were both trying to win after all. Mama! they whined. Make her stop!!!
That's when I suggested we play Baby Uno instead. We took all the cards onto the floor, and basically gave in to the spirit of the day, throwing them in the air, "dealing" handfuls of cards at each other, shouting Uno! at random, and letting Beatrice go absolutely nutso with joy spreading them all over the place.
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
No comments:
Post a Comment