We woke up for the first time in many days to a cool, breezy, open-all-the-windows-and-doors kind of morning. Despite the possibility of tomato blight hovering, the dearth of healthy zucchini blossoms, the curiously blossom-less cosmos, and the misplaced sorrel (Mike cut it but we never did find it) we were all outside and LOVING the garden early this morning. The heaviness in the air lifted and so did our spirits.
There was just one zinnia blooming, and it was damn nice. There is something so satisfying about those sturdy perfect petals.
The rest of the day did not prove to be always so happy and harmonious, but what a lovely twenty minutes that first taste of morning provided! The little garden sprites ran races. Here is the starting line...
...and here is the triumphant finish line!
The fabulous dress is one of my shirts with a twisty-tie from the kitchen drawer holding it together in the back. Gabriel first discovered how one could turn this questionably snug tank top of mine into a no-doubt-about-it HOT toddler shift. As you can see, when Gabriel ran upstairs to show her ("Look, Didi! Look at my shirt!!!") Frances decided it suited her even better, and so Gabriel is wearing no clothes at all. Which is, to him, preferable to most any stylish ensemble, so everyone was happy. Like I said, the good vibes were utterly palpable in our backyard around 7 am this morning!
Here is the man behind the magic, scrutinizing bugs and yellowing leaves. Thank you Mike for transforming what was once a patchy, weedy bit of suburban lawn into a lush little wonderland right in our own backyard. Even a single carrot seems - no, is - miraculous.
3 comments:
Hi M,
I can feel those good vibes from the garden. It looks impressively sized and staked, even if the harvest isn't yet coming through. And thanks for writing about your week away. No need to worry about coming out of the religious closet; I could've handled even more spiritual expose! I'm really interested in how L.H. could train people to be better spiritual discerners; it seems a little bit like the challenge of teaching someone to be more sensitive and aware. Not impossible I'm sure, but intriguing to think how.
The garden is looking beautiful! love to you all...
What a lovely picture (s) you paint with your words. Ah, I can almost hear the peaceful, happy sounds wafting my way - at least for a few minutes. I love the photos, too. Dirt is wonderful therapy. I haven't had time for that lately but now, with the Camp over, maybe I can get out for a little. Marcy saw me running somewhere - probably to MU - and asked if I'd like her to water my plants. YES! Plants, people, house were all suffering for a little while. But the performance was wonderful! The campers were splendid! And all are eager to return (although the oldest ones are very sad because they won't be back next year and will be missed.) What are your plans for Sunday? Monday? Maybe I can come for a quickie visit?
Post a Comment